The Uncaucus has posted this job description locally and in states across the country to challenge assumptions about what it means to be Mayor, get more citizens involved in the hiring process and encourage new candidates to step forward.
Job Title: Mayor
Start Date: January 1, 2011
Full Time: 4 Year Term
The Citizens of the City of Providence seek applications for the position of Mayor. Through policy and practice, the Mayor must inspire intelligent and transparent decision-making across all arms of city government and deliver services that support the well being of all residents.
The successful candidate will transform municipal leadership in Rhode Island by vigorously rewarding innovation, creativity and civic participation, even if it disrupts the status quo.
This position reports directly to the citizens of Providence, Rhode Island. And, they will be watching.
- Ability to create transparent administrative and fiscal systems at City Hall.
- Commitment to use new modes of citizen engagement to move political power away from a chosen few and back into the community-at-large.
- Willingness to experiment with new ideas, policies and practices that may be disruptive to vested interests.
- Capacity to recognize and serve ALL of the City's residents.
- Skills to develop new models for how city government partners with other public and private sector organizations.
- Courage to discuss the City's weaknesses while celebrating its strengths.
Annual Compensation: $125,000.00 per City ordinance. Competitive benefits.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, and materials that support your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.